Friday, December 12, 2008

Family Tradition

I have been very contemplative this Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have observed many people getting into the Holidays by being "Thankful" for what they have and decorating their houses for Christmas and sending out their fabulous Holiday cards. I have been wondering about those who are not Christians, not Christ Followers, and what the meaning of Christmas is for them. We all know that Christmas is to celebrate the Birth of Christ Jesus, but why has that been forgotten? If you are not a Christ Follower and don't understand what that means, then why are you celebrating Christmas? Trust me, we were one of those people when I grew up. Celebrating Christmas, but I can tell you know we did not really know what it meant then. I think what it boils down to is Family Tradition. We have them too, family traditions. Yes family is to be celebrated and traditions to be carried on generation after generation, but that is not the reason for this Holiday. Please don't forget the meaning of this Holiday.

I would love to hear from everyone what Christmas means to you.

3 comments:

Jamie P. said...

I would like to share what Christmas means to me. I was not brought up in church therefore I am not a religious person. I do believe in something higher, something greater but I have yet to figure out what it is. I am still searching within myself. I do not feel that I am missing something or that I am not whole. Christmas means to me family and surrounding yourself with the people that you love and care about most of all. It was always the time of year that our whole family came together. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents. This did not happen very often so it was special at Christmas. It means to me being thankful for my family, my accomplishments, my friends and everything that makes up my life. I enjoy giving to others this time of year and letting them know that they are loved. It means family traditions. I always enjoyed the traditions that I grew up with and looked forward to them every year and I hope that my kids will do the same. It's my time to give, love, share and say thank you for everything in my life. Christmas means to me....love.

Jamie

Kristin Aune said...

Jamie,

Thanks for sharing what Christmas means to you. It also means Love to me. The biggest act of Love was when God sent Jesus to die on the cross for US! We celebrate that love by celebrating the Birth of Christ at Christmas. Giving is very important during Christmas time. God gave the greatest thing on Christmas morning, his Son.

Merry Christmas!

Robin said...

I think it's good to consider why we do the things we do. This Christmas, with Emma being old enough to understand more, we've really tried to impart on her the importance of Christmas. When we went to a live nativity in Murfreesboro, I had to explain that it wasn't really Jesus in the stable. Emma asked me where Jesus is now, and I thought that was an important question. We celebrate Jesus being born at Christmas, but the most important implication is where is he now. I told Emma he is with God in heaven and can live with us if we ask him to.