Friday, February 13, 2009

Email from Bart Gordon

This letter confirms the info in my previous post. It was nice that I received a letter with an update that addressed my concern.


Dear Kristin,

Knowing your interest in the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), I wanted to update you on recent legislation.

We can all agree lead and phthalate limits must be mandatory in children's products. In principle, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) attempted to protect our children from these harmful chemicals. Unfortunately, in the process, an undue burden was placed on American small businesses and crafters.

You will be pleased to know the CPSC recently granted a one year stay of testing and certification requirements as directed by the CPSIA, creating a new deadline of February 10, 2010. The decision by the commission gives the staff more time to finalize four proposed rules which could relieve certain materials and products from lead testing and to issue more guidance on when testing is required and how it is to be conducted.

As always I welcome your opinion on this or any other issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I may ever be of assistance.


Stay in touch,

BART GORDON
Member of Congress

No comments: